Thursday, August 16, 2012

Mean Green Smoothie

I have to admit, I'm a little addicted to this thing I call my "Mean Green Smoothie." I even have my 2 and 5 year old daughters wanting it. I have this smoothie nearly every morning for breakfast and not only is it healthy, but its filling and delicious!
I am less than a year shy of my 30th birthday and on my birthday this year I made a vow that I was going to go into my 30's in the best shape and healthiest I have ever been. So I signed up for a 1/2 marathon in January of 2013 (running has become another passion of mine) and I'm making wiser choices when it comes to what goes into my body. Now don't get me wrong, I still have my splurges (like the gourmet red velvet cupcake I had for dessert for tonight. But I split it with my 2 daughters so it was only 1/3 of a cupcake instead the usual whole cupcake. Again.....not depriving myself, but making smarter choices)

So here it is:
 
I know it doesn't look real appealing, but trust me it taste better than it looks! And here is what's in it:
I put in the blender:
  • a small handful of frozen chopped spinach
  • A large spoonful of greek yogurt
  • A large handful of frozen mixed fruit (I recommend the kind with mango, pineapple, strawberries and peaches)
  • 1 banana
  • Then I fill up the blender with orange juice until it reaches about 1/2 - 3/4 of the way up the fruit/spinach mixture
  • Fill with water until it reaches the top of the mixture
  • Add about 3-5 ice cubes
And that's it! And here are some of the health benefits:
  • Spinach is healthiest foods available! You can't really taste it in the smoothie, but it provides lots of Vitamins K and A, cancer fighting antioxidants, and improves brain function and protects again aging (according to livestrong.com)
  • Greek yogurt is a great source of protein and calcium and less sugar than regular yogurt. Protein fills you up and keeps you fuller longer.
  • And then of course the fruit is full of vitamins and nutrients

So I encourage you to try it. You never know.....you might like it!

1 comment:

  1. I just made this for me and my kids. It's a winner!!!

    ReplyDelete