Friday, August 17, 2012

No more Kitchen Cabinets

Every now and then I get these hairbrained ideas. Half of the time they don't turn out like I wanted, but this one I'm really happy with.



I saw a post recently on one of my favorite blogs (Emily A. Clark) about her kitchen cabinet makeover. She is an interior designer with FIVE kids (um, can we say super mom?!?!) and I just LOVE her style and ideas. I have been trying to figure out what to do with this broken kitchen cabinet door of ours since we moved into our house almost 2 years ago and loved her idea. You see, we got a great deal on our house because it was a foreclosure. And while this house had nothing on some of the nasty foreclosures I had seen before, it did have a few "imperfections". One of those being the cabinet in the kitchen that looked like someone had gotten mad and punched it and left a big crack running from top to bottom.

I thought about just replacing the cabinet, but I wasn't sure how much that would cost. So I thought maybe we could cut out the middle and insert some glass. But that sounded like a big job and I wasn't sure if it would work. On Emily's project here she took off her cabinet doors and then painted the back of her cabinets. But my cabinets are the mass produced, factory made, pick out at the home improvement store and slap them on the walls kind of cabinets so there is "fake wood" (aka plastic) on the back and paint wouldn't stick. So I had the idea to use my vinyl I use for my Kitty Kate products in a different way!

I cut out 4 pieces of removeable vinyl and adhered them to the back of the cabinets. Sounds simple right? Not exactly! It took me a good hour and a half to get it all cut and applied and I had a few bumps along the way but once I got going the easier it got.

Here is what they looked like once I took the cabinet doors off (Sorry I didn't get a before shot of how it all originally looked. I ALWAYS take a before picture and somehow it slipped my mind this time). So I took the doors off, found all of my pretty, color coordinated dishes and things and decided where I wanted them on the shelves.



After cutting the vinyl, applying it, and re-staging everything this is what I got and I LOVE IT! Looks totally different and cost me nothing but some vinyl I already had!



No comments:

Post a Comment