Tuesday, January 22, 2013

5 days until race day

Only 5 more days until my first half marathon. I'm a little bit excited, and a little bit nervous. I am so excited to finally be able to check this off of my bucket list and add that 13.1 sticker to my car that my sweet sister gave me for Christmas. And I'm mostly nervous because I haven't been able to train like I had intended.
A couple of weeks ago I started getting these weird "spots" on my skin that you couldn't see but felt like a burning rash. I had just talked to a lady about her husband having shingles and it sounded very similar to what I was experiencing. So I kept waiting on these horrible rashes to appear and nothing ever did. It started with one on my stomach and then one on my back then those went away and I had a spot on my arm, then my hand and then my leg. They were uncomfortable, but not unbearable so I just waited and waited for them to either go away or turn into something more. Nothing every appeared, but one day my body just hurt. I felt like I had the body aches you experience with the flu but had no other flu symptoms. I called a few doctors to see if I could get in to see what was going on but since I had never gone to the doctor in the 4 years we have lived here no one could take a new patient until Monday and it was a Thursday. So I took the next available appointment for Monday morning. The next day it was even worse. I felt very fatigued as well. After laying in the bed all afternoon my husband decided I needed to go to Urgent Care. It was a Friday and he didn't want me to be in pain all weekend. So off we went and after all of my bloodwork came back clear and she insisted it couldn't be shingles because of the patterns of my "spots", she wrote me a prescription for an antihistamine and steroids.
It seemed to be helping because I felt much better the next day, but Sunday experienced the soreness again. So I kept my appointment for Monday and went and saw another doctor. He asked me a whole slew of questions and looked me over and determined that my symptoms weren't really pointing to an obvious problem. So he sent me up to have some extensive bloodwork done......9 different panels of bloodwork! But I was feeling so good I decided I would wait until my medication ran out and then determine if it had "healed" me or was back to square one. That Thursday was my last day of medication and spent the whole day in uncomfortable soreness and pain in my muscles and joints. I decided at that point it was best to go ahead and get the bloodwork done to help figure out what exactly was going on. And that is where I am now. I had the bloodwork done Friday and I am now waiting to hear back.
All of that to say I haven't been doing a whole lot of running the past couple of weeks. On top of not feeling good, it seemed to constantly be a dreary, drizzly (or pouring) rainy day around here. But after going to the doctor on Monday and getting the ok I knew I didn't have a choice. I was going to do this race one way or another. I had been planning for it, training for it and determined to "get 'er done!" And actually the runners block had disappeared and I was itching to get back out there. So on Wednesday I told my husband I was going to go on an easy 2 mile run but it felt so good I ended up running 3 miles. Then on Friday I ran 4 miles and Sunday ran 5 miles. After my run Sunday I quickly determined I had my first case of food poisoning. I will save you the details, but it was not pretty. It kind of set me back again, but tomorrow I am determined to get in a good 6 miles and then I think I'm going to take it easy until Sunday. I've been hydrating up with lots of water this week and I have my outfit and new running shoes ready to go. So I think I'm going to be ready to go. I have to go pick up my race packet this week and then keep hydrating and carb up the few days before the race. I am ready and I know I CAN DO THIS!

My running mantra:
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. -Philippians 4:13

No comments:

Post a Comment